Thursday, February 2, 2012

Lose It dot com

I initially thought by just going to the gym I could start to see some progress and then take baby steps toward working on my diet as well, until eventually I would have changed everything and been looking like a little bombshell. Clearly that's not going to work out like I was hoping. Apparently, going to the gym doesn't do diddly-squat if you're not eating right (but I bet you could have told me that... that is, if there was a "you" out there reading this).

So anyway, in an effort to start watching what I'm eating I thought I'd see if I could find a way to easily track my daily intake. A friend recommended http://www.loseit.com/. since she uses their app and loves it. I'd tried other apps before, a long time ago, but I wasn't happy with their functionality or ease of use. I have to say though, I was pretty impressed with Lose It when I checked them out. Not only do they track your intake, but you can record your daily exercise as well.

You can sign up for an account online, download the app, and you're all set. Lose It asks what your current weight is, what your goal is and how many pounds a week you'd like to try to lose. Then they figure up how many calories per day you can eat in order to reach that goal. When you log your exercise you're allowed more calories based on the exercise.

Lose It has a great database of brand name foods, restaurants, and others that have been added by users. You can create your own custom foods as well. I was also impressed with the list of exercises and activites they have. They make it really easy to log everything and customize the meals and activities to suit me exactly, from portion sizes to speed and effort of an exercise.

I especially like it that I can record on both my phone and at the computer. I can use the app on my phone to quickly record my workout at the gym, and log on the pc at work and record what I ate for lunch. The user interface is great and so easy to read, as you can see here:


I'm hoping to make great use of this tool and see it work for me. I can already tell by using this app I'm making a more conscientious effort to watch my portions and make better decisions. Is that candy bar really worth going over my daily allotment by 87 calories? Nope!

I don't know about you, but seeing something in black and white really helps me to understand. This is just what I needed. The only thing I think they're missing is a blog widget where I could show the world by daily diet and exercise. That'd just make me more accountable...

Anyway, check it out and let me know what you think.

This post carries a disclosure Level of 0. Please see my disclosure page for more details. I am in no way affiliated with http://www.loseit.com/, but I am becoming a big fan of their site and accompanying app. and thought I'd share my excitement with you :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment