Tuesday, April 10, 2012

Diaper Motorcycle

Back in January we celebrated the coming arrival of my nephew Baby M, my bonus-sister's son. Her cousin hosted a lovely shower at my dad and bonus-mom's house. Baby M's nursery theme is Winnie the Pooh, so it made decorating for the shower pretty easy.

Before we get to a few of those photos I thought I'd share the diaper cycle I made for the shower. It was a big hit... especially with my family since my dad and bonus-mom ride Harleys.

I'm sure you can guess where I got the idea...Pinterest, of course. I came across two that I really liked. While they looked about the same, I noticed they had a couple small differences in assembly. I kind of merged the two together to come up with my final masterpiece ;-)

The folks who first created these, and posted the instructions for all to see, deserve the credit for these little creations, and they certainly do a better job of showing you how to do it. So, head to those blogs for detailed instructions. The sites are www.sweetaprils.com and www.baby-shower.com but you can find the specific instructions here and here.

Here's what you need if you're going to make your own:

  • About 40 Size 1 diapers (as a mom, I prefer Pampers Swaddlers)
  • Two cloth bibs (I used burp cloths)
  • One washcloth
  • Two (or three, depending which design you prefer) receiving blankets in like colors (I did three)
  • A pair of baby mittens or socks (I used mittens)
  • One bottle
  • One (or two, again depending on which you do) of the baby chain link toys
  • Ribbon to wrap around the "tires"
  • Stuffed animal of your choice
Optional items I used to add a little fun:
  • Toy keys
  • Birth announcement pillow for seat
Make sure to coordinate your blankets, bibs, and wash cloths to keep things looking clean. I used Winnie the Pooh receiving blankets to go along with my theme. The blankets and the pillow had some green, so that's what I chose to use for the fabric pieces. On www.sweetaprils.com you can see several examples of coordinating colors and themes.

I used the "tires" from one because I liked the look of them better. Putting them together in the round pans like this just made them look a little neater I think.

Since I found the Winnie the Pooh birth announcement pillow and thought it would make the perfect seat I decided to use the other's instruction for connecting them with the blankets because it left a little more room between the tires. Both had the same concept for the handlebars, headlight, and "fenders". Oh, and one used elastic instead of ribbon to wrap the tires. While I think that was pretty practical and kept a better hold of the diapers, I like the look of the ribbon better. I ended up using a wide solid ribbon and then layering a thinner Winnie the Pooh printed ribbon over it.


Here's the final product!


 And here are a few photos from the shower :-)

I loved the clothesline with the baby items! Such cute decor!
Her cousin made a cute diaper cake and a plaque for his room with a quote from Winnie the Pooh

Again, the motorcycle was a big hit!

Pooh bath toys floating in the punch

My bonus-sister and I
(Wow, that stripe shirt is not doing me any favors! That was 8 pounds ago though...)

This post carries a disclosure Level of 0. Please see my disclosure page for more details.

No comments:

Post a Comment