Thursday, May 10, 2012

Book Review: Insurgent

Insurgent (Divergent, #2)Insurgent by Veronica Roth
My rating: 5 of 5 stars

This book left off precisely where Divergent ended. Tris, Four, and a couple others are on their way to Amity headquarters to seek refuge and figure out what the heck is going on.

I don't really know how to give a review on this one. It's so new I hate to go into detail and ruin anything for anyone, but I don't know how to go about being vague either, and still tell you how exciting it is.
Marcus (Four's horrible father) apparently knows something very important, according to him anyway. He's sure it's what caused the attack and he's hellbent on getting the information back from the Erudite.
Truths and secrets are revealed that leave people shocked, hurt, and confused.
Amidst all the chaos Tris is trying very hard to deal with all the guilt, pain, and sorrow she's experiencing.
These things aren't helping her newly forming relationship with Four. Neither is her lacking will to live...
Everyone is after something, unfortunately no one seems to be on the same page. It makes for a very interesting dynamic...
One final truth is revealed and it's a doozy.

The end!

While I had a hard time with the beginning of this book, I came around at the end. I don't know what the problem was, but it almost didn't seem like these were the same characters from the last book. Tris's guilt and grief does quite a number on her, and she's not quite the strong young lady I came to love in the first book. She starts to come around, though still somewhat wishy-washy, toward the end and show that character I thought she had in there somewhere.

I still don't get her sometimes though. She is so smart, and yet she falls for some pretty dumb stuff in this one. She puts some things together, but other, more obvious things, seem to go right over her head. I didn't particularly care for that, but maybe it's all part of Roth's plan. I'll just have to wait and see.
The dynamic between Four and Tris was intriguing. I felt bad they were going in different directions, but it made for a good read.
Even though there were some things I was a bit disappointed in, I am still quite impressed with the book. Again, Veronica Roth came through with a creative and interesting story. The action was awesome. The pace was great. And she leaves me wanting more! I'm not sure how I'll ever make it to the next book!!

View all my reviews

This post carries a disclosure Level of 0. Please see my disclosure page for more details.

No comments:

Post a Comment